My Job

Technical writing is still viewed as an emerging profession. And, technical writers are rare to come by, until you are one of them. IT industry is home to a majority of technical writers. But, even within IT, people are ignorant of the role played by their colleague who freely mixes with software engineers, test engineers, and is also a part of client calls.

I am sure we have all handled enquiries about our profession in cafeteria, at smoking joints, in elevators, and in restrooms. And, if you seek the luxury of prelude and particulars, I would say you have a poor sense of timing. You have just the time that a few quick sips of tea, a few hurried puffs of smoke, an elevation from level 0 to level 5, or the impatient hands drying under a noisy blower can afford. Many a time, the take-away from such brief encounters leaves the questioner more puzzled. Which also makes documentation an evergreen option :)

I have given up the anxiety to explain my job to others. The usefulness of my job does not depend on its acknowledgment by others. Does our ignorance of an assistant sound mix technician’s role,  diminish our appreciation of a movie? No. Remember those lines from Milton, “They also serve who stand and wait.” I live much above these proverbial lines. I sit and think and write.

Some of my friends placed in traditional jobs contend that my professional choice resulted from my being at the non-negotiable end of my career. No. I had it in me to settle for the uncommon. When I went looking for a job, I did not queue up at the gates of companies to try my luck in the crowd of hundreds. The HR executive sought my appointment. Closing the requirement of a writer was a bigger relief to her (HR) than doling out offer letters to 20 others. I am a rare commodity in the market.

My education was not meant to create a worker out of me. It made me an educator in the true sense of the term. I did not sacrifice my interests at the altars of a choiceless career. I have seen the two sides; the grass is greener on mine. Not many would say this.

I can weather a bulk of technical literature that can drive a techie nuts. I can also create one that he can appreciate and digest easily. Every word that issues from my fingertips pulls its own weight. They are not imperfect utterances of the half-knowledgeable who do not know what a piece of data does beyond the boundaries of the module allocated to him. The technical advantage on their side is well-balanced by my simpler understanding of the overall scheme of things. And, is simplicity a sin? It is said great ideas, like great people, are always simple. Concepts may be complicated; technology may be complicated. But, my job is to swim against the current. And, I am enjoying it!

Source: Originally posted at Cybage DoXperts, Cybage Documnetation team blog.

Comments

ketaki said…
Great Job Amit..!!
The work that you are doing sound interesting and of great value..!! However, what kept me engrossed through the post, was your love for what you have chosen.
Fortunately, there are many people who are ambitious and who make themselves worthy of their dream jobs. What is unfortunate is they don't know how to enjoy it.
You know the trick my friend.!
This post was a treat. Keep it up.!

Popular posts from this blog

Fatal One-liners

To ChatGPT, or Not to ChatGPT

My Atheism