The Wonder Kid

Recently, I had been to Noida. It was a long journey by train and also a journey through ideas that are triggered at the sight of sparse vegetation, shrinking water bodies, vast tracts of lands, burgeoning slums, teeming millions passing under the bridge. I ran through a chugging train of thoughts: the evolution of man, the future of mankind, the problems in society, the solutions thereto, and, then brought it all under a grand philosophical generalization (consolation) before giving up the whole effort and dozed off.

In these intellectual moorings, I put on the airs of a social scientist. Of late, the scrutiny of  morality and dynamics of society, their utility and goal have kept me occupied. Swaggering in the pride of my intellectual acumen, I came face to face with a 14 year old kid of standard 9, and, it was a very humbling experience.

My visit to my girlfriend was due for over 2 years and a half. The moment I found that the hot waters I had been in all these years had cooled a bit, I set out to fulfill my promise. Accommodation was a problem. I was on a very tight budget. I relied on the munificence of my seniors from college. During my stay, I had the privilege of meeting this little terror. I was well-informed about his exploits and was seeking audience with him. His maternal uncle, my senior from college, introduced him to me. After a while, the whole family except the boy was out running errands.

The boy was quite healthy for his age. In shaking hands with him I felt that I had earned the acknowledgment of head of the family. When he sat next to me, he did it in a manner that told me he would dominate the talk. In an elderly fashion, he asked the purpose of my visit. I said I was there for some official work. I thought I had quenched his curiosity. I was about to ask him about his school when he asked: "Which company?"

"Clarion Technologies."

"Is it an MNC?"

"No."

" What does the company do?"

"It's an IT company."

"What is its product?"

"It is into web design and web development."

"On which platform?"

"PHP, .Net"

'What is the strength of the company?"

"Around 200."

"hmmm"

"Have you come here for some training?"

Luckily, my phone rang. His eyes were fixed on me. Actually he was looking at my outdated mobile and later remarked that it doesn't go with my personality. I decided that the moment I put down the phone, I would take the position of an interviewer. But, nothing struck me.

"How do you know my uncle?"

"I was junior to him in the college."

"Then, he must have told you about me?"

"Yes, he and many others have spoke highly of you."

"What did they say? That I ride my bike very rashly"

"Y...ya"

"Actually, I love power bikes. I have driven all of them. Just a week ago, my Pulsar was sent to Kanpur. Otherwise, I would have taken you for a ride. I usually drive at 150kmph," he said unassumingly.

"What are your hobbies?" I asked.

He seemed to be a little annoyed at the role reversal.
"Games, Cricket, cars, and computers."

I was quite taken aback when he told me that he is pursuing Oracle certification online and within six months shall be completing the course. I asked him who suggested this to him. He said that his teachers have encouraged him and other classmates to pursue these certifications. I was a fool to ask him: "How will this help you now?"

"Knowledge never goes waste," pat came the reply. "Moreover, 2 years from now I shall take up a part-time job."

I really wondered how much money would he make as a part-timer. He must have read my thoughts.

He said: "I would be making about Rs. 40,000 from this and take control of my finances."

I was reeling at the figure. I wished he would not ask me how much did I make. He would regret the time spent with a nobody.

And then emerged the romantic side of this toddler. He asked me: "Do you have a girlfriend?"

I thought over the appropriateness of discussing this topic with a 14-year old. But, neither in his mannerism nor in his talk did he conduct himself as a kid. It was as if he was gradually trying to bring me out of my moral cocoon and then broach upon the secrets of my heart. He was jesting at my non-metro conservatism. I could see him hiding that mischievous smile lest I choose to keep mum on the topic and spoil his enjoyment.

"Yes, I have a girlfriend. Just a friend. Not a serious relationship."

"Actually, that's good. There is no point in running after a girl. Just the other day I ditched a girl. I can't stand their tantrums. An hour before you had come, I was speaking to another girl. I proposed to her and she accepted."

I was puzzled at his finished attitude and he took my expression for a disapproval of his opinion. As if to make up for his immodesty he said sighing: "I am waiting for a good girl to come into my life and mend my ways. I am looking forward to a peaceful and a settled life." He brought a richness to his expression by narrowing his eyes and looking at the ceiling aimlessly.

Me: "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

He moved on. I was expecting this from him. "Smooch..........Have you?"

My moral clock ticked again, but in vain. The social thinker in me had become an object of amusement for a metropolitan kid. I told him some cock and bull stories. But, he wouldn't be dodged by my description. He wanted statistics.

"Give me the number," he demanded

"7 times."

"18 times in the last 8 months."

Comments

Anonymous said…
I feel it is a complete truth when they say that a mans intelligence increases with his age shrinking. There would a numerous occasions when I would feel a Lilliput when talking to someone half my age. These guys have created wonders, when you look in disbelief at their age. I recollect a similar incidence when I was talking to my niece. She was getting ready to school and while talking about her science project was discussing genetic engineering. I could not believe my ears when I heard that little angel talking about things I never heard in my life. I bet even her parents did not.
When I sit and think about the generations to come, I have no worries of how would they do in their future life? I know they would do fine. The only thing that bothers is if all this is going in the right direction?
Anonymous said…
No wonder these new-age kids getting exposed to such captivating
things happening around, thirstily want to become a part of this changing world and in most instances end up becoming a big contributor to varying trends.

I should say the boy has the strength and energy to put forth his views but fails to target the
right audience. He will surely
understand this in the days to come.
ramanbohra said…
good one.!kids are no longer kids.

Popular posts from this blog

Fatal One-liners

To ChatGPT, or Not to ChatGPT

My Atheism