Folly of Being a Trek Hero

Heroism is not a trait but an opportunity. The opportunity seized me when we were at the foothills of Sahyadri range and were to begin our trek to Rajgad. The other hikers were in no hurry; they were more interested in photo shoot. But, my spirits were raring to seize the fort. The bottle in my hand felt like a sword and the jacket was my armour. I was a commander leading a troop and mounting on my horse-like feet, I galloped towards the fort. Soon, I lost sight of my troop. The voices were heard for a while; I quickened my pace and the voices died out. I was now alone.

As I was scaling the hill, I saw an old lady standing under the shade of a tree hiding behind the trunk. “What is she doing here in the desolation?” I thought. I recently started reading Dracula and an encounter with ghosts had caught my fancy. But, it was an inappropriate place for my fascination to materialise. The oldie had drawn her saree over her head and only a part of her face was visible. The wrinkles on her face were very frightening. I slowed my steps and turned to catch a glimpse of my troop but they were nowhere in sight. I collected myself and proceeded ahead without looking at her. But, what if she struck me down. I continually glanced at her, posing as if her presence did not deter me. I wished that the trail struck off elsewhere before I crossed her. But, it led to her and to my ill-luck there was another old lady at a distance waiting in ambush. I could have wrested with one spirit but two was too much. I was unprepared for such an organised method of haunting. I regretted my stupidity and found my heroism deserting me.

Various thoughts crossed my mind. "Are they forest-nymphs waiting for me to kiss them to replenish their lost youth and seek a release from a curse, or are they blood-sucking vamps?" I scanned the first lady for any weapon that she could be hiding. She did not have any. Next, I looked at her nails (expecting claws) that would be used to rip me apart. Ghosts need not rely on any physical aids to hurt the victim, I thought. Perhaps, bravery would prevail over their evil intentions. Thinking thus, I moved ahead. When I was at a hand's distance, the woman picked up the bottle in front of her and said something in Marathi. I thought they were incantations to lull me...but it was lime juice that she wanted to offer for Rs. 5!

I excused myself and handed out a Rs.10 note. The fear still lurked inside; I unfurled the note to its full length holding one end and maintained distance just enough for her to grasp it from the other end. I crossed the other lady without paying heed to what she uttered. I ignored her and pranced into the direction straight ahead.

I was a commander and a hero again. I had successfully passed the test of courage, boldly facing two suppositious ghosts in guise of old women. Now, there was no looking back. My target was to reach the fort quickly. I thought I would rest for a while and absorb the silence of nature about me, unlike my colleagues who will barely have time to rest before they start marching back. Another intelligent consideration backed my decision: a crowd for company makes one thirsty!

The sun was a little harsh for monsoon season. But, as I ascended the hill, it got cooler. I could hear the voices of trekkers ahead. I was literally running towards the fort. I derived the joy of a discoverer treading the unchartered. I crossed muddy grounds, hard clay, stony tracks, barren regions, dense vegetation. On the way, I could find cigarette buds, plastic pouches and footprints. My enthusiasm drooped a bit on finding these human prints. It was taking away from the joy of exploration. I wished I was the first to tread along this trail. “Never mind, I don't have a company. Isn't it adventure enough?” I reasoned.

I continued my strut on 'the path less travelled'. Reaching a little ahead the footprints vanished. This whet my appetite for adventure. Now and then the sunlight would lose itself in the thickness of the forest. It delighted me. For a moment I thought that I would hide myself in the bushes and frighten my fellow trekkers. But, they were too slow and I couldn't wait for them.

After two hours of brisk walk, it occurred to me that we should have started a little earlier. The fort walls appeared very near from the base but they seemed to be receding now. But, I was determined. I crossed one valley after another. To my surprise, going further ahead, the trail sloped downwards. "If only our ancestors had the modern technology, they wouldn't have laid such a long-winded track. When the fort is yonder up, what is the point in paving a trail sloping a kilometre into the valley. "

The trail was often covered under the trees. But, I wouldn't be discouraged. I cleared my way and emerged victorious each time. I commended my decision because there were also girls in the group. It would have been a task to persuade them to continue walking in such a wild terrain. I was sure that some of them would have stopped half-way and given up the idea of trekking altogether. "But, some boys would definitely make it to the top inspired by my example." Moreover, we had ordered our lunch in the village hotel. Our food would be carried to us to the fort. But, it was scheduled 4 hours later. "It would be very cruel of my colleagues if they had their lunch mid-way and returned without me." But, can a hero be discouraged? No way!

I reached the other side of the hill and it was a welcome relief from sun. As it was rainy season, the soil was very damp and loose. My legs were trembling with exhaustion. My thoughts turned to the poor labourers who must have toiled in materialising the royal ambitions of an emperor. It must have been an unreasonable display of a king's fancy that subjected those labourers to untold suffering in erecting a fortification in such an impassable terrain.

Three hours passed and the fort was now out of my view. Now it happened that the trail suddenly met a dead end. I retraced my path and found another trail and expressed a sigh of relief. But, after some 20 minutes I reached the edge of a precipice. I froze! I had lost my way! I started shouting for help in the wilderness. I kept on shouting names of my colleagues till my throat went dry. There was no network coverage, so I couldn't even contact anyone. I played music on my mobile with the idea that if I happen to miss shouting for help, a passer-by would atleast listen to the music and respond. I sought company in the bottle that I carried with me. I held fast to the bottle as if it were some amulet that would save me from danger. "Do hell with the deceiving trail", I started the climb uphill holding the branches and twigs that snapped in my hands and I often slipped in these attempts.

I started looking for footprints but now I was actually exploring the hill! I strained my ears for footfalls but all I could hear was birds chirping and the sound of crickets. Insects crawled over me and I had to pull them from my skin. When the trees shook in wind, it appeared that a hungry bear or a cruel wolf was advancing towards me with force. I would look around frightened and chant Hanuman Chalisa loudly. I lost all hope of reaching the fort. "I would be lucky if I could atleast make it back to the village." Even that was not to be. I could not even identify my trail backwards. Now, I had a different concern. I was looking for a place where I could spend my night! Under the trees it was risky; near the stream, there were crabs; in the open, I would be drenched in rain. There was no clear ground. I was indeed lost! I slapped myself. Commander, troop, sword, seize were history and I was living in the face of absolute danger. I kept shouting and searching for a place to camp at night. I had no match sticks to burn fire. Even if I had what would I burn – there were no dry sticks.

I gave up all hope and started walking wherever the trail led me. I slipped but now I did not care to steady myself. I was dead tired, sweat dripping from my face. I continued walking with unsteady steps. I thought I would walk till sunset and reach a safer ground. As I continued walking, it grew brighter. I guessed that I was on the other side of the hill. A little ahead, the path branched off into two. Now, was the crucial hour of decision. I told my prayers and took the one to my right. I entrusted myself to providential care.

Gradually, the path opened into a well-laid track. I decided that it would be my resting-place. When I reached the open space, I could see the village down and the fort up and... my colleagues were shouting from the fort. God had saved me! The trek must have been an adventure to others, but for me it served to strengthen my faith in the Almighty. Men, carrying our lunch, were a little behind me.

I halted after every 10 steps. I was never so tired. Only the joy of meeting my people kept me going. By the time I reached the last ordeal to the fort, I could not speak and my face was brick red. Everybody had made it to the top, including girls and they were still chatting excitedly and I was out of breath. They were surprised to see me slogging my way up!

During the rest of the trek, I did not take a single step without someone leading me ahead!
(1726 words)

Comments

Manish sharma said…
Hi Amit....

Superub , excellent convertion of thoughts ,good story man,keep it up.
Anonymous said…
This trek was a learning for you that the one always forgotten in good times never leaves you alone in your bad times. I hope your energy and enthusiasm has not gone down but should be raised above the clouds as you at the end were successful (finding the wrong way). Ha ha ha ha .... All the best with your next trek.
Anonymous said…
Hi,

It's a very interesting story.I enjoy during the study of whole story. There is a nice combination of character and nature. I think the other people will also enjoy your experiences.

Popular posts from this blog

Fatal One-liners

To ChatGPT, or Not to ChatGPT

My Atheism