The dream of justice

There are days when sleep quits you at its usual hour, but sloth pins your head to the pillow and dreams brightened in the daylight float by. These dreams do not need a Freudian interpretation as they scale out from the real world. What differentiates these dreams from thoughts is that they deny subservience to practicality. Some of them turn out to be wish-fulfilling. They avenge the past injustices meted out to you, or they offer a pleasure ride, a jaunt to the inaccessible object of pleasure.

Today, as I slept in, a dream drifted in and left me with a sense of empowerment. Let me give you the backdrop before narrating the dream. I was as an English language trainer with a spoken English institute, Elixir. Being an undergraduate then, I was not a trainer on papers. So, I was entrusted with the task of counselling candidates who came for inquiry. Interestingly, my first counselling session with a candidate resulted in on-the-spot admission. The villain of the dream, the centre manager, was praise of me. My success came as a surprise even to me. In the evening, I repeated the feat.

While everyone appreciated my convincing skills, I knew in the hearts of hearts that the outcome was favourable only because candidates stepped in tune with my explanation. I was right, because in the days that followed I fell short of the expected performance. Reasons: I did not appreciate the mode of teaching; I could not make false promises, and I never played on the candidate's impulse. Additionally, I was also filling in for the trainers who were absent.

My way of teaching interested the students. From being a part-timer trainer I rose to a full time trainer but my remuneration was not raised. I tried to talk to the center manager but he was a milk-man-turned-manager, so have I heard. He was out-and -out miser. He only held out long term promises while getting me work for him 9 hours everyday.

For the first time in my life I suffered throat ache due to continuous lecturing. But, once I entered the class I would be possessed by the spirit of a teacher and students would listen to the nuances of English that I imparted to them. The number of students began to grow in my class. But, my pleas for a hike fell flat on the ears of that stout bumpkin who couldn't speak a single sentence in English correctly.

I never appreciated his walking into the class to check the fee receipts, a discourtesy he never desisted from. One day he walked into the classroom while I was explaining the use of auxiliaries and modals. I went on and everyone was transfixed except my lips. After a while, he quietly walked away. That was the only gesture from him that I appreciated in all the months that I was in the institute.

But, he was not ready to shell out anything for my performance. The wickedest thing he could do to me was withhold my salary. I kept calling him, paying visits but all in vain. Unfortunately, that was a time when I was unable to afford two meals a day.

Today, I dreamt avenging him through my blog. In the dream, I sat before my PC and unburdened my wrath on this villainous employer. This post quickly made the rounds and was also brought to the notice of the head management of the institute. In the beginning, they bullied me to withdraw my claim but when they found me unrelenting and tarnishing the image of the institute through my readership, they unwillingly paid me the good amount and the centre manager was thrown out of office. I had the satisfaction of a victim who has his grievances redressed. The dream brought me victory.

Dreams also bring pleasure. They have an inimitable vibrancy that comes only next to a joy good real world experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fatal One-liners

To ChatGPT, or Not to ChatGPT

My Atheism