Those Three Days

Romanced kicked off under my patronage, later overstepped its bounds and carried me away. This self-proclaimed philosopher wasn't a respectable match for its sanguine charms and the readiness with which I fell in love is a warning unto those who take pride in their stoicism. It is said one may revive from the effects of the cup after a night's sleep, but one who is smitten by the cupbearer will not rise till the day of judgement!

I always had just three days on my calendar for renewing our love. The gap between my visits increased from a few months to years at an average of one visit per year. I had to make the most of these three days. A lot that wasn't possible on phone (please hold your imagination) had to be made up.

It took me not less than 36 hours to reach the hotel. I felt I was on a mission that expected me to overlook the discomfort and the expenses it entailed. All that mattered was to present myself before my honey as soon as possible. I always lodged at the same hotel saving me time spent looking for a better option. I threw my luggage, had a quick bath and was out of the hotel in my best outfit of the year.

Waiting for someone was never so enjoyable. My darling would also be at her best in what propriety allowed. When I saw her from a distance, she appeared an angel descending from heaven. If people hadn't been around, I would have run to her and taken her in my arms. Students running errands dotted the campus. In that crowd, she could only simper and her happiness would glimmer in those almond-shaped eyes.

During my first visit, her uneasiness was at its peak. I had to dispel the hush that would descend on her now and then. This made me doubt the appropriateness of this rendezvous 2000km away. But, 'love is blind and lovers do not see the petty follies they commit'. I decided to break through this strangeness.

We would sit on the park bench, on the steps and at places couples look for. But, we avoided places that promised too much of privacy as neither of us was comfortable with such an option. The first time I held her hand was after 5 hours of prattle in the veil of night on a deserted road. I held her hand and flurry overtook us. Instead of making hay of the situation, we were striding the abandoned road in fleeting steps, as if our goal was to reach the end of the road. We chalked it up to our inexperience. Things bettered out gradually.

I met her friends who would turn up when evening fell, a time I had scheduled to mobilize my affection. But, it wasn't disappointing. Am I a fool to despise the company of Punjabi girls, sweet and chirpy, doting me. I thanked God for his causeless mercy. On the first day, I was reeling under the weariness of journey and the energy of our union. I returned to the hotel musing. I had my dinner at a nearby dhaba. Believe me, eating out in Punjab is the most palatable experience I ever had; also gives you value for money.

I had to wake up early because girl's hostel opened at 7am. I jogged in the room to stir my bowel, but the biological clock wouldn't tick early. During winters even the hotel attendants were asleep till 8 in the morning. My shrieks for hot water were unanswered. I mustered courage and with great difficulty managed to wet my skin. It was the most horrible bath of my life. Later, when I looked into the newspaper, I staggered at my audacity: the mercury had dipped to 0 degree Celsius!!

The thick fog early in the morning afforded privacy. We kept pace with the sun the entire day till it left us on the cold steps in the evening. My darling arranged for my breakfast at her hostel mess. I was showed into the visitor's room in the girl's hostel. I was amazed to see the appetite of those girls. After gulping down milk from a half cubit large tumbler, they commenced their breakfast and the guy who waited tables ran in and out to fetch thick slices of butter.

During the day, some work would come along and my darling had to go to the hostel. I utilised this time watching other girls in the campus. I still remember the sight of girls with hockey sticks running on the field in shorts! Those rotund thighs and those luscious curves (it's where all the butter goes!) can tempt even a saint.

We also visited a theatre but never watched the movie. Luckily, we always got the corner seats without our asking. Once, when I got too involved in the movie, I spent the entire next day begging apologies for my thoughtlessness. Evenings would patch it up. I learned of the sad story of boys, a story quite similar to my friends', who had burned their fingers at winning girls. They would loiter on their bikes to harass the couples. On many occasions, we were victims of their pranks in that they would flash their headlights at us and flee from the scene hooting. I empathised with their plight, while she was cursed them.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in that fairyland, basking in the warmth of her love and concern. I never realised when those three days came to an end. Our hearts grew heavy. The tight hugs grew tighter as if we could pull each other from the current of time. Time was up!

Now, when these memories come flooding back, I realise that love was as an accident waiting to happen, and thankfully, it happened before long.
(981 words)

Comments

Nik said…
Memories of your true love always makes you feel happy. It is only a few lucky people in this world who get to stay their entire life with their beloved. Very well written blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Fatal One-liners

To ChatGPT, or Not to ChatGPT

My Atheism